Outward Bound for Veterans provides our returning service men and women with rewarding wilderness expeditions specially designed for the men and women or our nation's armed forces. Veterans programs are designed to be exhilarating, challenging, and rewarding. We make the most of the organizational and teamwork skills which veterans have learned in the military to move groups of 10-12 participants straight into the field.
Once on expedition, Outward Bound training will bring veterans up to speed on our wilderness travel expectations. Leadership skills will be tested as participants take responsibility for the crew and make community plans and decisions. Our staff, most veterans themselves, have extensive experience in backpacking, mountaineering, climbing, canoeing, sailing, kayaking, whitewater rafting, and dog sledding. Participants rely on them for information and safety, but ultimately the success of the experience rests with the participants. All programs, including travel to and from the course areas from anywhere in the continental US, are fully funded through the generous support of a network of partners, sponsors and donors. Participating veterans only need to provide day-to-day clothing and footwear.
Outward Bound for Veterans programs:
- build a supportive community with other war veterans
- facilitate genuine discussions on readjustment and transition challenges
- re-energize and reinvigorate spirits through adventures and challenges in a beautiful natural environment
- reduce the feeling of isolation
- provide the opportunity to bond with comrades outside of the typical military structure
- transfer veterans' military values and experiences to civilian life so that veterans are prepared to serve their stateside communities.